Friday, June 26, 2009

Turned in my manuscript to the publisher - FINALLY!


Won't be long now!

Back in 2005, I won a full publishing contract in the Big Texas Poetry Competition. Then, my parents passed; back-to-back! Initially , I was planning to publish a collection of my poetry, but the grieving period put any thoughts of a book on hold - for a while!

That was fortunate, because during that time, I saw a disturbing documentary, A Girl Like Me, that inspired me to write a short story of a little Black girl who struggled with self-acceptance. From this short story (intended for children) evolved an entire self-help text for people of ALL AGES; ALL WALKS OF LIFE. What I discovered was, upon reading the manuscript, several adults found the lessons in the book useful in their lives.

The book entitled, No Mistake: Self-Help for ALL AGES, including the short story, Abena's Journey. The book also includes something I call a "Discovery Guide"; a "workbook" at the end of the short story that challenges the reader's preconceived notions about self and others with questions and exercises. There is also a Resource section, and a section that tells My Story; the reason I wrote the book, with highlights of my very personal story of my early life, including my struggles with identity; being one of a handful of little Black children in an all-white Catholic school in the South.

I will keep you posted as to its progress and release date!
CHECK OUT THE PHOTO - "Confirmation" picture (I'm one of the "bookends", top right. Notice how the "colored girls" are strategically placed! LOL!)

UPDATE (1/2011): After a series of re-writes, and some "soul searching," I came to the conclusion that publishing the book as a short story for young people with the Discovery Guide accompaniment would be better -- particularly since there is currently much distress and chaos among young people regarding bullying and self-acceptance. Now, I have to wait until the publisher has time to get to my project; my book is on hold indefinitely... SIGH!

UPDATE (9/8/12): I have decided to publish the book on my own, without using the prize winning (not that it would've been redeemed anyway, which is part of the reason I am moving on).  ALL thing happen for a reason; let's just say I feel "protected" by the fact the publishing deal did not manifest...

So, here's the deal:  The book, titled NO MISTAKE: JOURNEY TO SELF-ACCEPTANCE is in the process of being published INDEPENDENTLY.  I have constructed a WEBSITE for the book, to keep all informed of its progress: http://nomistake.yolasite.com/

MUCH GRATITUDE TO ALL for your Patience and Support!!

No comments:

Post a Comment