Saturday, June 27, 2009

African-American Book Festival was SLAMMIN!

KUDOS to Evelyn Martin-Anderson for putting on a truly successful event! Informative guest speakers; all very accessible, and equally knowledgeable in their areas of expertise.

As for the poetry set, GREAT TALENTS were on hand. I really dug how Evelyn chose artists who had their own unique approach to the art of delivering their poetic expressions. Most enjoyable!

I really enjoyed doing my feature, too! I did 5 poems; 4 were in the little books I published on this computer I'm typing on.

In the book, "37 years times more i seek..." -- I selected poems with themes
that move beyond "victim consciousness" that we poets tend to get "stuck" in sometimes. In other words, if the poem's about something that happened to me that was less-than-favorable, rather than only focusing on feeling hurt/angry/resentful, etc., I go into my responsibility in each situation; how I contributed to -- or possibly created the scenario that had me feeling adversely. The title of the book was taken from a poem that is in the book with the theme of taking responsibility, called "37 years."

I knew I would get a response from the poems I read from the other book, "the CARBON factor - healing from our perspective," but I was pleasantly surprised at the overwhelming positive feedback I got from reading from the content of that particular book! I brought 8 of those books; I think I have 2 left!

It indicates to me that people are really hungry for alternatives to the "okie-doke" we've been led to believe for far too many years regarding the nature of dis-ease, and what we're putting in our mouths as "food," masquerading as "nutrition." People are truly "sick 'n tired of bein' sick 'n tired"; they're beginning to see the "okie-doke" the allopathic world is "spinning" is just that. The content I offered was from a perspective they never heard or considered; and apparently, it RESONATED to the point I practically SOLD OUT of that book. In addition to poems, it also includes essays about certain "stops" on my healing journey, as well as information about diet, and healing dis-ease.

Definitely gonna make more of THAT book!

Thanks to EVERYONE who came out and supported the set!

No comments:

Post a Comment