Friday, June 26, 2009

Now - I'm SELF-PUBLISHING!

They say "necessity is the mother of invention."

Circumstances of one's Life status will force ingenuity, sometimes. In my case, "Mercury Retrograde" hit me on "the back end"; things I thought were in place either dissolved, or simply didn't take hold. As a result, work that I was counting on did not exist! And my bank account? Well, to avoid claiming "lack and limitation," let's just say my bank account is awaiting a SUBSTANTIAL deposit!

My good friend Veronica suggested since I have considerable culinary skills, I might consider preparing pre-packaged vegetarian food items. That idea DID NOT resonate with me. My experience with preparing food for retail has been very "iffy" (developing a customer base - which waivers - and perishability issues are primary concerns). Plus - investment capital is needed, which... again, let's just say the check is (somewhere) in the mail; yet to arrive... But I'm sure it will!

ANYWAY... The next morning, I woke up with what I thought was an even BETTER idea. Since I have so many of my writings simply lying around collecting dust I thought, "Why not make poetry 'chap books'?"

Took me a minute to figure out how to get my word processing program to print a book, but when I did, I managed to generate my FIRST 10 COPIES OF A POETRY "SAMPLER." My plan is to sell them at an upcoming book festival highlighting Black authors (I'm a featured poet at the event -- "The African-American Book Festival, Carver Museum, Austin, TX). THEN yesterday, I got the idea to create a book of my poems and essays on health and healing. I literally stayed up until DAWN publishing 8 copies. I wanted to make sure I had some "product" for tomorrow.

I'm planning to further develop my self-publishing skills, and offer my books online. If you know how I can set that up on this blog site, HIT ME!

MUCH GRATITUDE!

2 comments:

  1. Chandra it was such a nice surprise to finally meet you in person. The world of the blogsphere is a very interested one for me. I meet people online, get to know about their crises, challenges, and celebrations without knowing the physical person. Amazing! Well I am one person of many that sometimes I feel like I am living my life through the life of my “friends” in Facebook.

    Last night thought, it was different, I got to see you in a new light and noticed that we do have similar interests. So not only I will continue to enjoy your writing, I do have a clue why I like reading it so much, we both like similar tastes!

    I want you to know that I was so impressed with your voice, it felt like a sweet melody in the morning dew and yet so powerful to wake up every deep emotion I had. Thank you for the gift of your voice and our “Facebook/blog” friendship.

    I will post your video sometime in the near future, notice how uncommitted I am with my statement. Ha ha ha, but I will do it and I will let you know when is up and running.

    Marion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best implant dentist In Los Angles .Dental implants may be the best option to replace a missing tooth, but remember that there is a difference between “dentists who do implants” and “dental .This Blog Is Very And Appriciate.

    ReplyDelete