Friday, December 4, 2009

IRISH MOSS GEL CONCENTRATE; SMOOTHIE FORTIFIED W/IRISH MOSS

IRISH MOSS GEL CONCENTRATE RECIPE
IRISH MOSS, or "Sea Moss" can be purchased in several forms in its dry state. For this recipe, we are only interested in the WHOLE or GRANULATED/CUT variety. Do not use powdered Irish Moss for this recipe. I will give you an example of use of the powdered variety for use in smoothies, but tor this recipe, you can use the gel for virtually anything. YOU WILL NEED:
  • 1/2 Cup GRANULATED Irish Moss - OR...
  • If you are using WHOLE Irish Moss, take a large handful and COMPRESS IT in your hand into a fistfull.
  • 2 Quarts DISTILLED WATER
Rinse the herb in water; check to see if there is any shells or debris. Soak in PURE WATER for 10 - 15 minutes, to allow any possible debris to settle to the bottom of the bowl so that it can be rinsed away. This is easier to do with the WHOLE herb than the GRANULATED.

In a large STAINLESS STEEL or other NON-REACTIVE COOKING POT (NO ALUMINUM), bring the 2 QUARTS DISTILLED WATER to boil. After adding the Irish Moss, REDUCE THE FLAME TO LOW IMMEDIATELY, and simmer UNCOVERED for about 30 minutes.

IMPORTANT: This mixture boils over quite easily! To avoid having to clean up a big mess on your stove, keep the flame LOW; allow to simmer until the pieces are soft.

Once the herb is cooked fill your blender container NO MORE THAN 3/4th FULL. DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP; MIXTURE IS HOT, AND THE HEAT WILL CAUSE THE BLENDER TOP TO POP OFF, POSSIBLY CAUSING SCALDING INJURY. BEFORE TURNING ON THE BLENDER, remove the "plug" from the blender top that allows you to add things into the blender while it is blending. This will allow any steam to escape, rather than jarring the top loose when you turn the blender on.

You may want to strain the mixture into a glass container for storage in the refrigerator, to ensure there are no additional shells you may have missed in cleaning. Allow to cool in the refrigerator. As it cools, it will "gel up."

The Sea Moss Gel Concentrate serves as a base for many soups, sauces, smoothies, and desserts. It’s great for adding "body" to your recipes as a thickener. More importantly, it is a tremendous cell nourisher, supplying the body with an abundance minerals that make up the body. It is specifically high in Organic Calcium. So use liberally, To Your Health!

IRISH MOSS-FORTIFIED SMOOTHIE
You will need:
  • A Blender
  • Your favorite Fruit (If you like FRESH GINGER, grate some!)
  • Apple Juice, Orange Juice, or Pre-Made Nut or Seed Milk (Nut/Seed Milk is easy to make; simply add a heaping tablespoonful of pre-soaked Walnuts, Sesame Seeds or Hemp Seeds or a combination in the blender bowl with just enough water or juice to cover, then liquify) - OR you can just use plain Spring Water, and/or Coconut Sugar to sweeten to taste.
  • One Teaspoon IRISH MOSS POWDER (or 1 CUP SEA MOSS GEL)
If you’re making your NUT/SEED MILK, do that first, as instructed. Then add the FRUIT. If you are using the IRISH MOSS GEL instead of the powder, you can add it now.

IF YOU ARE USING THE IRISH MOSS POWDER: After adding the FRUIT to the blender bowl, turn the blender on; add more LIQUID if that will help the blade to turn. GRADUALLY sprinkle the teaspoon of IRISH MOSS POWDER into the blender bowl (so it won’t "clump" or stick to the sides of the blender). Add more LIQUID as it blends, to get the consistency you desire. Add COCONUT SUGAR, to sweeten to your taste. Pour into a large glass - and ENJOY NOURISHING YOURSELF to your Heart’s Content!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chandra, I still have not posted your video, I have been so busy with school, work, and children. As soon as school is over I will post the video on facebook. About this recepe, some how it does not sound tasty, but I am assuming it is good for your body. As of late, I have been so bad with my body, just eating anything. I am hoping to organize and do a better job to nurture it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marion -
    I encourage you to STAY OPEN with the new food ideas.
    I have been gifted with creating great-tasting food since childhood; when I was eating GARBAGE.

    When I first became a vegetarian nearly 40 years ago, I realized I could not be a vegetarian if the food I ate wasn't palatable. I taught myself how to prepare vegetarian food. I know folks are addicted to taste; I am too, but not so much as I was years ago. Saying that to say I am always mindful of TASTE when I recommend foods and herbs to "first-timers."

    Try not to assume the worst, just because this method of making a smoothie is something you're not accustomed to. I attempted to write the recipe so folks could easily follow it, but allI can do is offer the info. If people don't prepare it properly, then I don't have any control over that. I know when I MAKE IT, it is ALWAYS YUMMY! And trust me - I know what taste good and what doesn't.

    So simply TRY IT.
    You might LIKE IT!

    ReplyDelete